A linoleum knife (also called a banana knife or hook axe) is a small knife that has a short, stiff blade with a curved point and a handle and is used to cut linoleum or other sheet materials such as wood paneling and veneer and sheet mica.
It has seen use as an improvised weapon in jurisdictions where traditional knives are highly regulated, such as the United Kingdom.
- Viggo Mortensen's character, the Russian gangster Nikolai Luzhin uses this weapon to lethal effect in the 2007 film Eastern Promises.
- "A linoleum knife was a smart choice for an ex-con. Anything with more than a four-and-a-half inch blade was considered a deadly weapon, but a linoleum knife, equally deadly in the right hands, was just a tool." - Robert Ferrigno, Scavenger Hunt.
- "I've seen of those, from when we redid the floors in the kitchen. Damn ... That's a weird weapon for a hit man isn't it?" - Jessica in My Soul to Keep by Tananarive Due
- "With short wooden blades and blades that curved like an eagle's talon, linoleum knives were often used by prostitutes as protection against tricks gone bad." - Robert J. Hoshowsky, Ronald Turpin, Arthur Lucas, and the End of Capital Punishment in Canada.
- The opening song of Aqua Team Hunger Force Colon Movie Film by Mastodon is titled "Cut You Up With a Linoleum Knife".